Saturday, August 16, 2008

Presidential Comedy

Brothers, Sisters, and Transgendered Comedists Everywhere,

Good brother YKW reminded me that this week marked the 24th anniversary of Ronald Reagan's famous announcement,

"My fellow Americans, I am pleased to tell you I just signed legislation which outlaws Russia forever. The bombing begins in five minutes."
into a microphone that he did not realize was on. It's been something that many folks have been touchy about ever since, but it is pretty funny.

So this week, we're all about Presidential comedy. What are your favorite jokes by or about a President?

A few to get us started:

Lincoln: "Whenever I hear anyone arguing for slavery, I feel a strong impulse to see it tried on him personally."

Grant: "I know only two tunes: one of them is "Yankee Doodle," and the other isn't."

Taft: Replying to the Yale Law School's offer of the Kent Chair in Constitutional Law, "A chair would not be adequate, but perhaps a sofa of law might suffice."

Kennedy: "When we got into office, the thing that surprised me the most was that things were as bad as we'd been saying they were."

Ford: "If Lincoln were alive today, he’d roll over in his grave."

Bush: "Heck of a job, Brownie."



Your favorite presidential jokes?

Live, love, and laugh,

Irreverend Steve