Saturday, February 28, 2009

The Feast of Saint Jack

Friends,

This week we celebrate the 60th birthday of Jack Handey, the comic writer of Saturday Night Live fame has also written for Steve Martin, National Lampoon, and the New Yorker. He's best known for his "Deep Thoughts." I've gotta say that there are very few writers who can consistently get me into an uncontrollable chuckle like Jack Handey.

"Instead of a trap door, what about a trap window? The guy looks out it, and if he leans too far, he falls out. Wait. I guess that's like a regular window."

"If God dwells inside us, like some people say, I sure hope He likes enchiladas, because that's what He's getting!"

"There should be a detective show called 'Johnny Monkey,' because every week you could have a guy say 'I ain't gonna get caught by no MONKEY,' but then he would, and I don't think I'd ever get tired of that."

"The crows seemed to be calling his name, thought Caw."

"If you ever have to steal money from your kid, and later on he discovers it's gone, I think a good thing to do is to blame it on Santa Claus."

"If you ever go temporarily insane, don't shoot somebody, like a lot of people do. Instead, try to get some weeding done, because you'd really be surprised."

Happy birthday, Jack Handey. Thanks for all the laughs.

Live, love, and laugh,

Irreverend Steve